Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Happiness Project


Okay I have to confess something - At the end of last year I finished reading the Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and thought wow this is a great book, but deep down I questioned if it would really work.  So I set out to do my own experiment  to test it out.  


Source




If you haven't read this book it's all about how the author Gretchen Rubin took a year of her life to do things that would bring her more happiness in her life.   Each month she focuses on something new which she thought would bring her happiness.   It's a very inspirational book and it got me motivated for sure.

So starting on Jan 1st I wrote my goals down that I wanted to accomplish in order to bring more happiness into my life.  To tell you the truth I don't know if I will make it through the whole year but I am happy to say that I've made it happen for two months now and that's encouraging to me.

I think that any time you get a chance to reach outside of your comfort zone you receive rewards.  So far my little experiment has only proven me right.

So what have I've been up to in these last two months?????

Well for January the things I focus on were:

January


To act like I wanted to feel -  This goal might be confusing to you.  How can you act like you want to feel?   Simple it meant instead of letting outside matters control the way I felt I concentrated on how I wanted to feel,   So many times I've simply let people in my life affect the way I felt.  For example if I ran into a crabby kid I noticed that I started to feel that way too.   So I decided to focus on how I wanted to feel and stuck to it.  No matter what I ran into I choose that I wouldn't  let outside interference change the way I wanted to feel.

To do what ought to be done -  I noticed that when I set out to do something and I did what needed to be done it felt so good.  For example I've been really working on sticking to my cleaning schedule that I made for myself.  When I stuck to my goals the house was kept cleaned and I was able to do more things which increased my happiness factor.   Also in the beginning of the year I joined Ail Edwards one little word workshop and picked the word DISCIPLINE.  So these two little goals went hand in hand together.  It takes discipline for me to get the things done that needed to be done.  When I achieved what I wanted to get done I couldn't help but to feel happy.

February


To count my blessings -  I have fond this goal to bring me the most happiness.   At first it wasn't something natural for me to do.  Most days I would walk around not even thinking what I felt blessed about.  However, when I started to make an effort to be grateful for what I had around me it really did make me feel happier.


Focus on something I really enjoyed -  I wanted to focus on one thing that I really enjoyed.  This goal was a tough one for me,  Let's face it I'm very crafty person I enjoy crafting and I enjoy showing people what I have accomplished but I found that I was always scattered.  I would have three projects going at the same time.  As much as I tried to stay focus on this goal in the beginning of February it didn't turn out.  So I decided that I would change the goal up a little.  I knew that no matter what, I wasn't going to change the fact that I had more than one project going at a time so I decided to focus on my blog.  By just picking one thing to focus on (like my blog)   I got enjoyment out of it.  I focused on setting goals for my blog and by setting these goals I've accomplish one of the things I always wanted to do and that's to grow my blog.  I got a few more followers and that gave me a thrill like you wouldn't believe.

Like Gretchen observed in her book it takes a conscious effort to be happy and by being a little bit more aware of that fact any one can set out to be a more happier person.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for doing this post. As I was reading this I got inspired to do this book as a "project" with my daughter who lives 1000 miles away and is a struggling 20 something. I'm going right now to buy books for both of us!

    ReplyDelete